First settled in 1845; named Fillmore for Millard Fillmore. Name
changed in 1851 when post office was granted. In 1881 most of
the city was destroyed by fire. Another major fire in 1895 also
destroyed many businesses. With the growth of nearby Dallas, city
grew from 3,695 in 1960 to 72,331 in 1980. Many early buildings
survived and are described in historical guides available at the
Chamber of Commerce. Historic downtown with brick streets has
undergone a revitalization project with brick sidewalks, turn-of-the-century
lampposts, and plaza to enhance specialty shops, boutiques, galleries,
City has become known as "Balloon Capital of Texas"
with hot air balloon races scheduled last weekend in Sept. Large
arts & crafts fair held in conjunction with balloon festival.
HERITAGE FARMSTEAD MUSEUM (FARRELL-WILSON FARMSTEAD
INTERURBAN RAILWAY STATION MUSEUM
J C PENNEY MUSEUM
MOUNTASIA FANTASY GOLF
- FAIRVIEW FARMS - It's been more
than 100 years since Clinton Haggard moved to Plano from Kentucky.
Today, the Haggard family is still active in farming and has created
an area to bring farm life to the city. There's a farmer's market,
arts barn, museum, general store, farm animals, party pavilion,
and restaurant. Seasonal demonstrations held throughout the year
include sheep shearing, horseshoeing and other events depicting
farm life. Open daily. U.S. 75 at Parker Road. (exit 30)
- HERITAGE FARMSTEAD MUSEUM (FARRELL-WILSON
FARMSTEAD - Built in 1891, was center of working farm
until 1972. Four acre site includes preserved windmill and out-buildings.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places. Guided tours.
Open June - August. Tues. to Fri. from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sat.
10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- INTERURBAN RAILWAY STATION MUSEUM
- Between 1908 and 1948 the Texas Electric Railway ran from Denison
to Waco, linking Dallas to smaller cities. Plano's Interurban
Station was completed n 1908. The building was restored to its
original condition, contains memorabilia of railway history. Taller
portion of building housed large transformers that converted AC
power generated in McKinney to the 600 volt DC power used by interurban
cars. Outside, not open to public, is electric car being restored.
Open Sat. from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. In Haggard Park, 9012 East 15th
- J C PENNEY MUSEUM - Home office
of one of the largest retailers in the world. Beautiful campus,
tours usually Tues. - Wed, and Thurs. at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tour
includes company's fitness center, mail room, and historical museum.
Museum features re-created first store James Cash Penney opened
in Kennemere, WY. in 1902 called the Golden Rule Store. Merchandise
selection taken from original inventory; logos on boxes derived
from invoices of original suppliers, and the pine counter is the
first actual counter used in the first store. Other exhibits trace
the history of the store through the present. From U.S. 75 take
exit 31 Spring Creek west to Preston Road; turn north to Legacy
?Drive then west on Legacy Drive to headquarters. Park in north
parking garage on level one. For museum information , call 214-431-7927.
- MOUNTASIA FANTASY GOLF - A
54 hole miniature golf courses takes golfers through caves, waterfalls,
and other obstacles. Can accommodate 500 golfers. 7,000 square
foot clubhouse includes the latest video games available. At 2400
Premier Drive off U.S. 75 (between Park and Parker Road) Admission.
- PARKS - Award winning park system
includes two indoor pools and one outdoor, 21 court tennis center,
municipal golf course, outdoor learning center, playground, playground
for handicapped children, and a bike and hike trail system 15
miles long connecting seven park sites.
- SOUTHFORK RANCH - Many visitors
to D/FW enjoy a visit to Southfork Ranch, made famous by the "Dallas"
TV series, a number one hit in 83 countries were shown. Visitors
can tour mansion and grounds, a museum dedicated to history of
the TV show, and see horses and Longhorns. There's also Miss Ellie's
Deli restaurant and "Lincoln's and Longhorns" western
store featuring original Lincoln Continental Jack Ewing drove
n the show. Open daily. From U.S. 75 North, take exit 30 and drive
east on F.M. 2514/Parker Road about six miles, turn right on F.M.
2551 (Hogge Road) and here's the ranch. 214-442-7800. Admission
Back to Main | Advertiser's Index
| City Index
This file was last modified Thursday, 12-Oct-95 01:44:21