Dating from the establishment of machine and car shops by Trinity &
Brazos Valley Railway, the city is named for niece of railroad magnate
B.F. Yoakum. The T&BV was called the "Boll Weevil Line" in the first
decades of the 20th Century because so many special trains ran to conferences
about combating the insect devastation in Texas cotton fields. The area
has large deposits of coal, lignite, oil, sand, and clay. Natural gas production
has become important in recent years.
The city park offers picnicking, recreational facilities, and a swimming
Back to Main | Advertiser's
Index | City Index
BURLINGTON-ROCK ISLAND RAILROAD MUSEUM - Trinity & Brazos Valley Railway
was purchased by Burlington and Rock Island lines in 1905; in 1936 inaugurated
the first streamlined passenger train in Texas, the "Sam Houston Zephyr,"
between Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston. The old two-story 1906 brick depot
is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is now a museum
with varied relics from the golden age of railroads, plus county historical
items. Also on the site is the Col. B.A. Philpott log house built in the
early 1850's. Col. Philpott served with the Confederate Army during the
War Between the States and returned to Freestone County following the war.
The log house is complete with period furnishings. Open Saturday - Sunday
from 1 to 5 p.m. Located at 208 South Third Street. Admission is charged.
BRI - Railroad Museum - The
home of Big Mike